Saturday, May 9, 2009

Studio Tour Weekend-Mother's Day complaints

Studio tour weekend begins today. I hung my work at my friend Robin's place and will head over later this morning. For now I am just having a quiet moment and waiting for coffee! I am there tomorrow, as well....Mother's Day. I'm really not a fan of Mother's Day. I wonder how many other women have expectations on the day and are disappointed every year. I try not to be, I really, really do. I have tried reducing my expectations on the day and this year made sure I was busy so perhaps it would not be so glaringly obvious that I am not appreciated (cue music). Instead, I am coming home after 2 long days (before 2 more long days of teaching, I might add) and hosting a BBQ arranged by everyone else. Just one time it would be nice to be asked what I would like to do on Mother's Day instead of what does everyone else think Mother's Day should look like. I never make it through the day without crying and already feel like crap thinking about it. Then, of course, I must remember the day is not just about me, but my wonderful Mother and Mother-in-Law and I never feel like I do enough for them. Just not a good day for me! But...today is not Mother's Day. It is studio tour, day one. Today I will sell some art. I must sell some art. And I get to hang out with 3 other fabulous women (all Mother's, I might add) and
it will be a great day!

Visit my site www.andrea-graham.com

4 comments:

Kathy Maher Patterson said...

Hi Andrea;
I read your blog post about Mother's Day...it's good you'll be with other women tomorrow! I never expect the boys to do crazy extravagent things. Rather, I often spend the day re-reading my birth story and thinking about eleven years ago. If I want something, I ask for it. I ask Cam to write down some things he enjoys about our relationship, and I hang on to that. Maybe it's my controlling nature, but somehow I'm okay with directing the day. Isn't that what we do the other 364 days anyway??
Hugs to you!!
Kathy

Ginga Squid said...

Awwwwwww Andrea! HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!!!

'We' don't do mothers day here so I have zero expectations. Maybe my kiddies will make me something when they are older?
Plus my mum lives in the UK and they had their mothers day a few months ago (I always send her something if I remember in time).
Mothers Day should be on the same day worldwide - would make things much easier.

Loree Jackson said...

Mother's Day is a Hallmark holiday. It usually doesn't bother me but this year my oldest didn't even come by to say hi on Mother's Day. I guess she thought a phone call was enough when she lives just across town. My other daughter, the good one, gave me a box of chocolates. She's my new favorite child. And at least I got to go to the beach, so it's all good :)
DJ
davjackstudio.blogspot.com

Karoda said...

I'm not a fan of most Hallmark holidays...tuned them out long ago so whatever acts on my behalf I appreciate and am moved. And my own mother, 80, reminds me that every day is mother's day...also, the original meaning of the holiday moves me, as it is about Peace, so it reminds me to ponder the possibilities of a world without war.

time to relax

time to relax
Liberatio Captivus